Business Directory Plugin (CMBD) - Use Case - Creating a Business Directory From Scratch
Use Case - Creating a Business Directory From Scratch
Note: This guide covers features from the Pro version of Business Directory Plugin - This document uses version 1.8.5
Business Directory Plugin is a WordPress directory plugin that allows you to create a site with comprehensive businesses listings. Each business has a profile page with detailed information.
Quick Read: Only The Admin Edits Profiles
In this base plugin, users cannot submit/manage profiles. The admin controls all pages.
To let users manage their business profiles, use the Community Add-on.
Use Case Front-End
WordPress Business Directory List
Use Case Assumptions
In this example use case guide, we'll cover how to create business directory with five profiles in Education and IT. You can apply the same idea to the topic of your site.
We consider that you have already bought the directory plugin, but not installed it.
- Installing the plugin
- Adding the first business
- Configuring the WordPress business directory
- Search and filters
- Changing business page
- Business Page - Additional links and taxonomies
- Business Page - Google Maps
- Translating the interface
Installing the Plugin
The process is the same for all CM plugins.
- Download the plugin from your customer dashboard.
- Log in to WordPress and navigate to the WordPress Admin → Plugins settings.
- Click on Add New.
- Activate it and add the license.
Learn more: Getting Started - Plugin Overview
Adding First business
With the plugin ready to go, it's time to add the first business!
Head to Admin Dashboard → CM Business Directory Pro → Add Business.
You will be able to fill detailed information for your new business.
Creating Design Agency Profile
Here we show the main sections of adding the page for a Design Agency.
1. Description, additional info
2.1. Picture gallery
2.2. Documents/ attachments
2.5. Up to 5 addresses with Google Maps - Business Google Map
3.1. Social media links
3.2. Additional Links and Fields - Additional Links and Fields
Learn more: Getting Started - Adding a business
Configuring The WordPress Business Directory
The Business Directory Page is automatically created upon Business Directory Plugin installation in the address www.yoursite.com/business-directory. As you add businesses, it will be automatically updated to present all profiles.
It's a normal page with the shortcode
[cmbd_business] , which outputs your businesses directory list.
You can configure how it looks by default by heading to the plugin's settings → Directory Appearance tab.
In this page you can configure options such:
- Default template
- Default sorting order
Different Views, Different Settings
The WordPress Directory plugin has four available views, each with their settings.
- Tiles View - Learn more: Tiles View
- List View - Learn more: List View
- Business Directory View - Learn more: Directory View
- eCommerce View - Learn more: eCommerce View
Search and Filters
Another important setting in the directory listings is regarding filters - in other words, how users narrow down and search the directory.
For example, you might want to let users search by tags but not keywords. Or, allow search by custom taxonomies.
TIP: Filters Are Essential For UI
Especially if your business directory is big!
What You Can Change
- Displaying filter fields as Dropdown or Tags.
- Display search field:
- Show or not these filters:
- Category, Subcategory
- Custom Taxonomies
- Other info
All settings are under Filter settings.
ZIP Search Filter
If you have Map Locations Plugin installed, you can enable ZIP search on the Business Directory. It will also include City and State search.
This is controlled from the Map Locations Plugin setting. Head to Admin Dashboard → CM Map Locations → Settings. Then, enable ZIP code radius filter.
- it works only within a single country that you've set up in the settings.
- The Zip code of the business is fetched from the coordinates, and not from the Postalcode field. The postalcode field is used as a public information you can show on the page
TIP: Modifying The Index Content With Shortcodes
You can change what appears in the each instance of the business directory by adding parameters to its shortcode
A small sample:
- view - the id of the view from the following: tiles, list, directory
- filter_search - whether to hide Search filter on businesses directory Index Page (set 0 to hide )
- cats - the slug of the category from which the business should be displayed
- tags - the name of the tag the business displayed should have
[cmbd_business view="list" filter_search="0" cats="it,healthcare" tags="small,big"]
Check all shortcodes and parameters: Shortcodes - Available Shortcodes
Editing The Business Page
Now let's match the page to our site's identity. Here are some examples of what we can achieve:
Head to the Business Page tab.
Sample of what you can change:
- Default country
- Page colors
- Show or not logo, publish date, update date, comments, back to directory link, business e-mail address, video
- Show or not custom taxonomies
- Show or not additional links and fields, and also what are their labels
- Related businesses
What Else Can I do?
Check some useful tips:
Enable Star Ratings. Learn more: CM Star Rating Module (CMSR) for Directory Plugins
Show persistent advertisements. Learn more: Business Directory Plugin (CMED) - Business Page - Advertisement
Business Page - Additional Links, Fields and Taxonomies
Business Directory Listings plugin is flexible in that you can configure a series of fields and choose to display them or not.
What's The Difference?
- Custom Taxonomy - Work like categories or tags and is searchable. Ideal for concepts shared by many businesses.
- Examples: Company Type, Industry
- Custom Link - Simple link.
- Examples: Landing Page, Customer Showcase
- Custom Field - Simple text field. Ideal for unique values
- Examples: Revenue, Awards
You can enable/disable and rename taxonomies from the Taxonomies tab. They will apply to both Directory and Profile page.
You can then manage, add and edit custom taxonomy items from the Admin Dashboard → CM Business Directory Pro → Relevant menus
2) Custom Links
The settings are in the Business Page tab. Set Show additional custom links to Yes and you will be able to see these fields when editing a business. Choose a label and icon for up to four custom links.
3) Custom Fields
Custom fields are similar and the settings are just below Additional Links in the Business Page tab.
Google Maps Integration - Showing Map For Single Business and Directory
If you have Map Locations Plugin installed, you can display Google Map on:
- Business Page - Address of that business
- Business Directory - Map with all businesses
API Key is Required
This feature requires an API key from Google.
Once you have it, add to the settings in the API tab.
Learn how to generate one: CM Map Locations and Routes - Getting Started - Adding API Keys (Google Maps and OpenWeatherMap)
1) Show Map of Single Business on Business Pages
Under Business Page tab → Business Page Defaults, configure the option Display Map (if and where it should be shown).
TIP: Enabling/Disabling on Single Page
While editing a business or expert page, you can toggle the map on or off for that page alone.
2) Show Map With Businesses
Apply the shortcode
[cmloc-business category="id|slug" categoryfilter="0"]
It has two attributes:
- category - Specify one or more categories by their id or slug
- categoryfilter - Set "1" to allow users to filter categories and "0" to disable it (Default is "1")
Latitude and Longitude are Required!
The map will only display items that have latitude and longitude in their address.
You can add them by choosing the precise point on the map. To do so, enable the option Place the marker manually.
Alternatively, you can use services such as Get Lat Long from Address Convert Address to Coordinates to obtain coordinates.
If your site is not in English, that's ok.
The Business Directory Plugin lets you translate the most important front-end labels to your language of choice. To do so, head to the Labels tab.
Some examples of labels available for translation:
- Back to Directory
Business? Company? Startup? You Choose!
A common use case is using a different name other than "business". For instance, you directory might contain only startups, stores or departments.
For this adjustment, you should:
Check all labels related to "business"
Edit the title of the Business Directory page from the back-end
Learn more: Settings - Labels
Show Advertisements (Google AdSense, Ad Changer)
You can add advertisement or other content in three sections of business pages.
Advertisements can include shortcode generated by other plugins such as the Ad Changer plugin and JS code generated by external ad services such as Google AdSense.
Navigate to the Admin Dashboard → CM Business Directory Pro → Settings.
Click on the Advertisement tab.
Change the code for the different advertisements as needed.
- Ads to display above the related businesses.
- Ads to display below related businesses.
- Ads to be displayed under the business map.
Learn more: Business Directory Plugin (CMBD) - Advertisement
You can show the number of Twitter followers and Google Maps on each business page. Twitter and Google integration require an API key.
Navigate to the Admin Dashboard → CM Business Directory Pro → Settings → API tab
- Show Twitter followers - Check yes or no to show the number of Twitter followers on the business twitter account. If you selected yes you will need to obtain an API key from Twitter developers website found at apps.twitter.com
- Twitter Consumer Key - Enter the Twitter consumer key in the box provided.
- Twitter Customer Secret - Put the Twitter Consumer Secret in the box provided.
- Twitter Access Token - Enter the Twitter Access Token in the box provided.
- Twitter Access Token Secret - Enter the Twitter Access Token Secret in the box provided.
Discussed above, in the Google Maps integration section.
Following instructions found in the plugin and guides, you should be able to complete the business directory with multiple businesses.