CM Tooltip (CMTG) - Search Glossary Terms
Searching the Glossary Items
What is This Feature
You can enable glossary search, so that users can search glossary content. There are two methods to do so.
Method 1) Adding a Search Widget
You can add a search widget, found in your widget section:
This will search the terms content and will return all related terms.
Method 2) Adding Glossary Index Search
You can include a search box in the Glossary Index Page. You will find this setting under Admin Dashboard → CM Tooltip → Settings → Glossary Index Page tab → Search, Categories & Tags section.
Once added, you can configure it extensively. Below are the relevant settings for search:.
- Only show items on search? - Displays the glossary items only after search is used.
- Use Fast-live-Filter? - Learn more below.
- Category selection method - Choose between:
- Dropdown (Categories are shown hierarchically
- Show only relevant categories - Will only display categories that hold terms currently filtered.
- Disable all categories - Hides the "All Categories" button
- Save the user's last selection in the session? - If enabled, it will save the visitor's search even after they refresh the page.
- Search only from - Choose between:
- Search only for the exact term/phrase? - Search will have to match exactly the word.
For example, "App" will find "App", but not "Apple".
- Hide the tags on the Glossary Index Page - Disables search with tags
- Show terms with exact match selected tags (on search) - This setting affects the behavior when you select two or more tags.
For example, if you select tag A and B.
- If enabled, only terms that have tags A and B will show.
- If disabled, even terms that have only tag A or tag B will appear
- Redirect single search result to term page? - Takes the user directly to the term page when the search result has a single result.
- Ignore preselected letter and show all results on glossary search? - Choose between searching all terms or only those that start with the letter preselected in the alphabetic glossary.
This option is related to "What letter should be preselected in alphabetic index" - Learn more: CM Tooltip (CMTG) - Index - The Alphabetic Index.
- Choose an icon for Search Hint - You can add a custom one.
2.1) Glossary Index - Fast Live Filter Search
The Fast Live Filter option allows you to filter the results on the Glossary Index Page without reloading the page.
When this option is enabled, after the user starts typing in the search box, the results will be limited to matching terms among the terms that are currently presented on the page.
How Fast Search Filter Works
Typing "te" into the Search Box will display only the terms containing these letters.
The list of terms displayed on the screen changes almost immediately, making it a very convenient way of searching through big glossaries.
Below: After adding just one more letter, the results have changed - the words "Excited" and Frustrated" were removed.
Using the Fast Live Filter doesn't stop the search functionality. After pressing "Search" the page will reload and the data will be sent to the server.
Remember that this works only on the data which was sent from the server. So it will work much better with the Client Side pagination than with the Server Side pagination, as in the latter case the data has to be obtained from the server first.
See this page to learn more