CM Curated RSS Aggregator (CMCRA) - Categories
What Are Categories
A category aggregates multiple RSS feeds into a single one. it can filter the feeds' URL by positive or negative keywords and it can also remove old URL based on the category settings. It is also possible to display the category content using a shortcode in the widget area on any page or post.
Adding a Category
To add new RSS feeds, navigate to Admin Panel → Curated RSS Aggregator → Categories.
Fill provided fields in the Add New Category section.
- Name - The name is how it appears on your site.
- Parent - Choose if the category should have a parent.
- Description - Write a category description.
- Feed URL - Field for Feed URL. You can add multiple feeds. Each on a new line. Make sure each feed URL has an http:// or https:// in the beginning
- Match keywords - Keywords determine if the feed item is added to the category. If one of the keywords in the list is found in the URL description or title it will be added to the list.
- Exclusion keywords - Exclusion keywords have a higher priority than match keywords. If one of the keywords in the list is found in the URL description or title it will NOT be added to the list.
- Feed processing interval - The interval determines how often feed is been processed. Notice that this may have an impact on your WordPress site performance.
Choose between: Every week, every month, every 5 minutes, every 15 minutes, every 1 hour, every 3 hours, every day and twice a day.
- Feed entries presentation duration - Feed entries older than the selected period of time will be deleted.
Choose between: Never, 1 day, 2 days, 3 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month and 3 months.
- Lists - Attach Feed to lists.
- Favicons before links - Choose between Global settings, show or hide.
- Color - Choose a color for the feed background using a color picker or by inputting the HTML value.
- User Agent - Choose between Global settings, WordPress, Kindle, iPad, iPhone, Nexus 7, Chromecast, Edge on Windows, Chrome on Windows, Firefox on Windows, Safari on Mac OS X, Chrome on Mac OS X and Linux.
- Avoid entries with exact same title - Feed items with title exact same as already imported will be skipped.
- Add "?format=xml" to the end of the feed URL - Enable this if you are using FeedBurner feeds to ensure compatibility.
- Prevent feed caching on feed's server - Enable this on the rare cases when the feed is cached on the feed's server for some reason. When that is the case, the feed might result in the same result for days.
- Advanced subtitle customization - Allows you to choose the XML namespace and define its tag.
- Fix thumbnails relative path - Fix for RSS feeds with resources that use relative paths. This option will transform these relative paths to absolute - for instance, "/new_photo.png" to "http://example.com/new_photo.png".
Click on Add New Category button. Your new category will appear in the categories list on the right side.
Below: After adding a category and attaching it to the list users can display it with shortcode (usingor attribute).
Using Categories Slugs for Shortcodes
When using the shortcode to display specific category tweets you should use the slug name instead of the category name.
[cm_rss_aggregator category=CATEGORY_NAME max_links=MAX_LINKS]
Slug name should be visible once you edit the category
Using Multiple Categories in Shortcode
Using a shortcode you can display information related to one or more categories using the following format
Make sure to use the slug name of the category and not the name itself