CM Curated RSS Aggregator (CMCRA) - Categories - Creating and Showing on Website
What Are Categories
A category aggregates multiple RSS feeds into a single one. It can filter the feeds' URL by positive or negative keywords and it can also remove old URL based on the category settings. It is also possible to display the category content using a shortcode in the widget area on any page or post.
Adding a Category
To add new RSS feeds, navigate to Admin Panel → CM Curated RSS Aggregator → Categories.
Fill provided fields in the Add New Category section.
- Name - The name is how it appears on your site.
- Slug - this is the URL-friendly version on the name. It is usually all lowercase and contains only letters, numbers and hyphens.
- Parent Category - Choose if the category should have a parent.
- Description - Write a category description.
- Feed URLs - Field for Feed URL. You can add multiple feeds. Each on a new line. Make sure each feed URL has an http:// or https:// in the beginning.
- Feed name - Used to display source of RSS links.
- Match keywords - Keywords determine if the feed item is added to the category. If one of the keywords in the list is found in the URL description or title it will be added to the list. If you add more than one keyword, they should separated by comma.
- Exclusion keywords - Exclusion keywords have a higher priority than match keywords. If one of the keywords in the list is found in the URL description or title it will NOT be added to the list. If you add more than one keyword, they should separated by comma.
- Feed processing interval - The interval determines how often feed is been processed. Notice that this may have an impact on your WordPress site performance.
Choose between: Every week, every month, every 5 minutes, every 15 minutes, every 1 hour, every 3 hours, every day and twice a day.
- Items per URL - Number of items fetched from each URL. 0 means no limit (all items available).
- Feed entries presentation duration - Feed entries older than the selected period of time will be deleted.
Choose between: Never, 1 day, 2 days, 3 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month and 3 months.
- Always refresh links before fetching - After checking this the links will be refreshed before fetching (so only the items in the feed will be displayed).
- Lists - Attach Feed to lists.
- Favicons before links - Choose between Global settings, show or hide.
- Default image - Optionally, add a thumbnail image by default when feed item has no image.
The default image will only be shown if the option "Show big image" is be enabled. It can be found at the Settings → Plugin Options tab. Learn more: Options - Plugin Options (General, Pagination, Search and Filter, Social, New Tag) - CreativeMinds Products Documentation
- Color - Choose a color for the feed background using a color picker or by inputting the HTML value.
- User Agent - Choose between Global settings, WordPress, Kindle, iPad, iPhone, Nexus 7, Chromecast, Edge on Windows, Chrome on Windows, Firefox on Windows, Safari on Mac OS X, Chrome on Mac OS X and Linux.
- Avoid entries with exact same title - Feed items with title exact same as already imported will be skipped.
- Columns number - Columns number to show category in front-end single category view. We can leave it empty and the default value will be "1".
- Add "?format=xml" to the end of the feed URL - Enable this if you are using FeedBurner feeds to ensure compatibility.
- Prevent feed caching on feed's server - Enable this on the rare cases when the feed is cached on the feed's server for some reason. When that is the case, the feed might result in the same result for days.
- Advanced subtitle customization - Allows you to choose the XML namespace and define its tag.
- Fix thumbnails relative path - Fix for RSS feeds with resources that use relative paths. This option will transform these relative paths to absolute - for instance, "/new_photo.png" to "http://example.com/new_photo.png".
- Preserve linebreaks in description field - this options preserves linebreaks in description field.
TIP: Creating New Values
You can create new options, such as 'Every two days". Learn more: RSS Post Importer / RSS Aggregator - Advanced - Creating Processing Intervals With WP Crontrol
Click on Add New Category button. Your new category will appear in the categories list on the right side.
Showing Category With Shortcode
When using the shortcode to display specific category tweets, use the slug name instead of the category name.
[cm_rss_aggregator category=CATEGORY_NAME max_links=MAX_LINKS]
Slug names should be visible once you edit the category.
TIP: Using Multiple Categories in Shortcode
You can also include multiple categories by separating their slug by a comma: