CM Business Directory (CMBD) - Free Version Tutorial
Free Version Tutorial
CM Business Directory Pro
This article covers only features present in the free version of Business Directory. It shows you how to create a directory of business.
Table of Contents
- Installation guide
- List of Features
- Using the Plugin - Overview
Here are the steps needed to install the plugin:
- Download - To manually install the plugin, you must first download it from WordPress.org to your computer.
- Navigate to the Plugins tab in the WordPress Admin Panel to install the plugin.
- Activate the plugin.
TIP: Register for Benefits
If you like, you can register your plugin to receive information about updates and our latest offers. You can complete your registration at any time.
If you don’t want to register right away, you can select the Skip button.
List of Features
CM Business Directory
Using the Free Plugin - Overview
TIP: Automatic Index Page
The plugin automatically creates the Directory page . You can find a handy link shortcut on the top of the settings screen.
Admin - Adding and Managing Businesses
You can add and manage businesses from the back-end. Head to Admin Dashboard → CM Business Directory → Business or Add Business.
What Does It Look Like to Add a Business?
You can add and edit business from the back-end. The fields are simple:
- Company Name and Description
- General - Add the Company pitch, upload a logo, and choose if the business should appear first in searches
- Business Address - If virtual address is chosen, all fields will be emptied
- Business Info Box - Add extra and contact information
- Category Metabox - Useful for sorting on the directory
Settings - General (Defaults, Page ID)
In this tab, you can configure the overall plugin behavior and appearance.
- Show the admin edit link - Display or hide the edit link in the directory for users with the admin role.
- Default map view country
- Default year founded
- Default business image - Only applied if the business doesn't have any logo
To add an image, click Upload Image, Add a new image or select a current one, and then, click File URL and Insert to Post.
- Business Index Page ID - The ID of the page considered the Business Directory - all backlinks will direct there.
The plugin creates the page upon installation, but you can point it to another page.
TIP: Finding ID
You can find the ID of the page by editing it from the back-end and checking the URL. In the example below, the ID is 2298.
Learn more: Finding ID of Post/Page/Other Content
TIP: Using Shortcode To Customize Directory
You can use the shortcode
[cmbd_business] to add the directory elsewhere on your site,
The main advantage is that you can customize it extensively with these attributes:
- showfilter - whether to show the categories filter or not. Value should be 1 or 0
- row_business - number of the business in the row (tiles view only)
- page_business - number of the business on one page
- cats - the id of the categories from which the business should be displayed
- business_ids - the IDs of the business you only want to show in directory. Value should be an ID, or comma separated IDs.
[cmbd_business showfilter="0" row_business="2" cats="1" business_ids="1,3,5" ]
Settings - Business Page
You can configure everything related to the business page in this tab.
TIP: Description is Always Show
You can show or hide some elements, but the business description will always be shown
- Default Template - Default template of the business page
- Back to directory index link - Show or hide
- Categories - Show or hide
- Site and email section - Show or hide
- Address - Choose between
- On top
- On side
Settings - Index Page and Appearance
You can configure everything related to the index page in these two tabs.
Business Directory Tab
- Pagination on top - Show or hide
- Pagination on bottom - Show or hide
- Number of business - Show or hide
- Categories as - Choose between
- Items per page selection - Show or hide
- Categories - Show or hide
- Open business page on a new tab - Forces the browser to open business on a new tab, even on regular mouse clicks
- Business pitch as image title - Shows the pitch on mouse hover
- Business box width / height - Can be any CSS width value, such as px, %, auto, em etc.
- Business in a row - How many business each row should have.
-1 will mean as many as possible.