General Support - Troubleshooting - "Update Failed: Download failed. Unauthorized" Message
"Update Failed: Download failed. Unauthorized" Message
What is This Error
While trying to update a WordPress plugin or add-on, you may receive the message "Update Failed: Download failed. Unauthorized", as shown:
A similar error may display the message "The package could not be installed. PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature"
The most likely cause is that the domain (site URL) from which you are trying to update the plugin is not attached to the license. This can happen, for instance, if you install your plugin to a different domain while using the same license.
It's also possible that your WordPress website is running old versions of OpenSSL or cURL. In such cases, CreativeMinds can't communicate securely and the update fails.
In order to fix the issue, take these steps:
- Deactivate and reactivate the license to solve this issue. Learn more: General Support - CM - How to Deactivate or Refresh Your License Details
- If you do not have access to the previous server where the license was installed, let us know via a support ticket and we will reset it
- If the previous steps didn't solve the issue, speak with your web admin about updating version of either OpenSSL or cURL
You can always update a plugin/add-on manually.
- Access your customer dashboard and download the latest version of the product. Learn more: General Support - CM - How to Manage Your CM Downloads
- From the Back-end, deactivate the plugin and delete it from the plugin lists. Don't worry: this won't delete the actual plugin data.
- Install the new version you've just downloaded.
For more information about update issues, check EDD's documentation: Software Licensing - Troubleshooting Update Issues