RSS Post Importer - Set Up - 4) How the Posts Are Displayed (Post Template)
Step 4 - How the Posts Are Displayed (Post Template)
RSS Post Importer Set Up
Step by step
- Adding The Feed.
- Choosing How The Plugin Will Handle The Feed. Involves keywords that will be excluded, date limit, and more.
- Choosing How The Plugin Will Handle Each Post. Involves word limit and HTML removal.
- Choosing Where and How Will The Feeds Be Posted. Involves post status, tags, categories, featured image, excerpt, author and more.
Once the RSS is imported the RSS Importer Plugin works to Export the post onto your own site. The following settings determine how this output will appear and what attributes it will have.
- Post Type - Choose what kind of post it will be. A page, a custom post type or something else. The default is a WordPress post
- Category - The category that imported posts will fall under can be configured here. This applied only if the post type created on your site is a regular "Post"
- Alternatively the checkbox below can be checked to Use category from feed item. Doing this will use the original category. If this does not exist on your site, it will create it.
- Categories cannot be created manually here in the Post Template section. To add new categories this must be done before in Posts → Categories.
- Status - Determines the publish status of the Post. It can be published automatically, saved as draft or held for revision. It can also be set as private.
- Author - Chooses which Site user will be set as the Author for Imported posts.
- Published on - Choose between the original Publication date and the Import date as the date to be used for the publication date to appear on your site.
nofollow"to links - Adds the nofollow attribute to links in the post. This is important for search engine which are indexing your site in case you don't want them to follow the links included in the important articles.
- Set featured image - Downloads and saves the featured image to the WordPress media of your site. Once found, it will also be set as the featured image for the saved post. You can also use the featured image as a shortcode using the following [rss_feed_item_image]
- Disable security filters - Some content requires the disabling of security filters
The Template can be altered using the shortcodes shown in the panel or with some manually entered text. You can also apply the relevant parameters to each of the shortcodes.
TipIf you would like to create a link with the original title and URL, you can use the shortcodes inside a HTML code.
- Example with the visual editor:
- Example with HTML code:
At the end of the panel, you will also find the Excerpt field. The excerpt is a hand-crafted summary of the content (learn more).
By default, it contains a shortcode to set a Word Limit. You can alter the number in the shortcode to define how many words will be captured as the excerpt. So, for instance, the following shortcode will import 30 words from each post as their excerpts:
Take note that every post will follow this rule.
Don't Forget To Save!
After completing the configuration for the Feed remember to Save. Either as a Draft by clicking ' Save Draft' or as a Published Feed by clicking 'Publish' on the upper right of the page.