Multi-Vendor Marketplace - Table Rate Shipping
What is Table Rate Shipping
Table Rate is a shipping method that calculates shipping rates based on data inserted in a table. When it's enabled, during checkout the customer can opt for the cheapest possible rate based on:
- "Weight v. Destination" (distance)
- "Price v. Destination" (distance)
- "# of Items v. Destination" (distance)
This guide will focus on possible uses of Table Rate Shipping. If you are looking for a broader explanation on Shipping Methods or if you would like to know how to configure them in your Magento store, please refer to the following guides:
- Multi-Vendor Marketplace - Shipping Method Configuration (Admin Side).
- Multi-Vendor Marketplace - Manage Shipping Methods (Supplier Side).
Things to Note About Table Rate Shipping in Magento
- Only one set of table rate data can be active at a time.
- Since virtual products, such as services, have no weight, they cannot change the result of a calculation that is based on the Weight v. Destination condition. They can, however, affect recalculation based on either "Price v. Destination" or "# of Items v. Destination".
- If the handling fee is based on Percent, enter the whole number without the percent sign, as shown:
The Structure of the Table Rate CSV File
The CSV file has to follow some rules, as explained by Magento:
- "Country": Has to contain a valid three-character ISO 3166-1 code for each row.
- "Region/State": Accepts the ISO 3166-2 standard, a two-character code. You can find a comprehensive list of these codes in the United Nation's website. Accepts asterisks (*).
- "Zip/Postal Code": Accepts asterisks (*).
- The selected shipping method
- "Shipping Price": Input without the currency
The asterisk (*) works as a wildcard to represent all possible character codes for each row.
Note: when filling the table, sort the data by Region/State so the specific locations are at the top of the list, and the wildcard locations at the bottom. This will ensure the data is processed in the right order.
Example CSV table
The following table shows a series of situations regarding # of Items v. Destination. It can be imported to Magento if it's in CSV format.
|Country||Region/State||Zip/Postal Code||# of Items (and above)||Shipping Price|
Based on the given table, the following Shipping Prices are expected for each scenario:
| Country stated in
| Table Rate Shipping
|State||Zip Code||Number of Items||Shipping Price|
|Outside of the USA||No||-||-||-||-|