CM Tooltip (CMTG) - Extras - Importing and Exporting Terms/Settings
Import and Export of Glossary Terms
The Pro, Pro+. and eCommerce editions of the CM Tooltip Glossary plugin support the option for Importing and exporting glossary Terms and plugin settings.
This gives you the ability to replicate your Glossary Terms database easily and migrate them across several sites and even to import large dictionaries into the plugin.
1) Exporting/Importing Terms
About CSV Files
Exported files are saved in the .CSV (Comma-separated values) format. This type of file can be opened as a spreadsheet by softwares such as MS-Excel, OpenOffice and Numbers.
This is a sample of a CSV file from Tooltip Glossary opened as a table:
To make sure that you are using the correct format please download the example file which is provided with the plugin. You can replicate the examples provided and add your own terms.
Another method is to export your existing terms into a csv file, open it and once again replicate the format provided in the csv file you have.
Finding The Import/Export Options
To reach the Import/Export options, head to Admin Dashboard → CM Tooltip → Import/Export.
This page has three important features:
- Backup to CSV - Creates a CSV file that is stored locally and shows you the link to access it.
- Save to CSV - Generates a CSV file that will be downloaded by your computer.
- Import Glossary Terms from File - Allows you to upload a CSV file. First, choose a file by clicking the Choose File button and then click the blue Import from CSV button.
How The Plugin "Reads" CSV Files
The CSV file needs to follow some rules so that the plugin can read it properly. As mentioned before, the easier method to avoid any confusion is to use a CSV file that was exported from the plugin.
When creating of modifying the table, consider these rules:
- Headers - The first row is composed of headers and will not be imported. The plugin reads the following fields, in this specific order:
- Obligatory Information - The terms must have data, at least, in the columns "Title" and "Description". If any of these is empty, that line will be skipped.
The image shows two proper rows followed by two incomplete rows as an example:
- Repetition - If a term in the CSV file already exists in the database, only its content will be updated.
- Encoding - All files should be UTF-8 encoded. If you’re using MSExcel, please remember that by default Excel cannot save files in proper CSV format (comma-delimited).
Import and Export Video Tutorial
2) Exporting/Importing Settings
Starting from version 3.8.14, it's also possible to export all plugin settings. You can do so from the same settings page.
Below the terms section, you will find the Export Glossary Settings section. The process is the same as with terms.