CM Reviews and Ratings - Getting Started - Plugin Settings
Plugin Settings »
Upon activation, you will be redirected to the plugin's Settings page which you can also navigate to by using the newly installed CM Reviews menu on your Admin dashboard.
Once inside the CM Reviews and Ratings Settings page, you will find a compilation of different tabs that segregate functionality settings to different sections (according to category). You may easily access each section by clicking on their corresponding tab.
To help you familiarize with all the functionality the CM Reviews and Ratings plugin offers, we have created this thorough documentation showing you each tab's full content and a detailed description of what each functionality and option stands for.
In order to get started using the CM Reviews and Ratings plugin on your site, we must first access the General Settings tab.
- Auto add shortcode - By default, this setting is set to yes. This automatically adds Reviews and Ratings to any chosen post type you wish to enable the plugin's functionality for. This saves you the hassle from needing to add the shortcode yourself.
- Choose Post Types - Here is where you set post types to add the Reviews and Ratings plugin functionality, all built-in Wordpress and custom post types will show up in this area which you can enable support for. You have the option to select none, a single post type or multiple ones (but if you wish to use the plugin at all, at least one post type needs to be selected).
- Delete all reviews - Click the button to delete all reviews. Warning: this option cannot be undone!
- Allow multiple reviews on post/page - Allow users to add more than one review.
- Allow edit reviews on post/page - Allows users to edit their reviews.
- Moderate reviews before publishing? - You have the option to check reviews being submitted prior to publishing them on the post / page. Reviews will be sent in for approval to the Administrator and won't be visible on the post / page until accepted.
- Allow guests to leave ratings / reviews - If set to yes, unregistered and logged out users will be able to leave ratings and reviews on your posts / pages. On the Review form, they will be asked to enter their name and e-mail address.
- Roles allowed to rate posts - You can set which user roles on your site can or cannot leave ratings and reviews.
- Blocked IPs - You can restrict specific user IPs from being able to leave ratings and reviews. The Review form will be gracefully hidden from the user, but everything else will be visible to him including the ratings and reviews for each post left by other users.
- Form display - You have the following options on how you wish to display the Review form to your users: form always visible (form will be visible on the post / page being accessed), form appears on click (a button will be provided), and form appears on click inside a Popup (form will appear inside a modal window).
- Form position - You have the option to display the form above or below the Reviews / Ratings on the post.
- Fields required to fill / title / content - This is where you can set which fields on your front-end Review form should be displayed and required.
- Use editor instead of textarea for content - Enables a rich editor that supports formatting and HTML, instead of the default simple one. Example:
- The color of the stars after selecting - Affects selected stars.
Additional Custom Fields
- Additional custom fields - You have the option to add custom fields to your Review form, and if whether these custom fields should be required or not. (If a "required" field is left empty, the user will be alerted and the form will not submit until all required fields are filled.)
- ReCaptcha - You have the option to have ReCaptcha on your Review form. This will ward of bot submissions and spam. You will need a reCaptcha site key, and secret key which you can easily register for and get from the link provided.
Terms and Privacy
- Show disclaimer for first time users? - If enabled, users that don't agree with the terms won't be able to post reviews.
- Disclaimer text - This message will be shown for first time users. You can add HTML tags here to add rich formatting and links.
- Collect IP Addresses - Choose if IP addresses are registered when users submit a review. Note that, if enabled, it should be mentioned in the Terms of Service.
- Display Ratings - This will enable showing ratings in posts and pages. If you wish for user ratings to be visible on the front-end, set this option to yes. (This will include the 5-star rating, rating average, rating total count and histogram table of all the ratings)
- Display ratings histogram table - This option (if set to yes) will show the percentage rating score for each post in a histogram table on the front-end.
- Display rating numeric average - This will show a post's average rating score (based on all of the ratings received).
- Display number of ratings - This will display the total number of ratings a post has gotten.
- Suggest search engines to show rating - If this option is enabled, the plugin will communicate the search engines about the ratings and encourage them to display it, as highlighted below:
- Rating Weight - A rating weight pretty much adds the value to a rating. You can specify which users get more rating weight for their reviews. Usually, we like to give more value to reviews by registered / logged-in users, as opposed to those who are not. You can, of course, choose to give all ratings equal weight or value.
- CM Reviews and Ratings - Customization - Design and Interface
- CM Reviews and Ratings - Customization - Reviews and Ratings
- Display Reviews - Shows submitted reviews by users on the front-end. By default, this includes showing the user rating, title, content/review, date and author line for each review.
- Display review content - Shows the review content submitted by the user. If "No" is selected, only the rating, title, and author line will be displayed (unless otherwise specified).
- Display author name - Shows the author user name.
- Display date - Shows the date when the review was submitted.
- Display reviews author e-mail / profile link - Shows additional information. Choose between
- Profile link
- Display the response for the review - Shows the admin's response for the review, if it exists.
- Display the pagination for reviews - Organizes the review in segments.
- Items per page - Defines how many reviews will appear per segment. Only applies if the previous setting is enabled.
- Limit review display size - Limits the size of the review texts. After the limit, a clickable text will be shown. Clicking the text will reveal the full review. This text can be customized in the labels settings.
Learn more: CM Reviews and Ratings - Customization - Labels.
- Text size (words) - Define how many words will be shown before the clickable "Read More" text.
- Limit review display size - Trims the review content.
- Text size (words) - How many words will be shown before the "Read more" message.
- Date Format - Format used to represent the creation date and time of a review.
- Accepts: Y (Year), m (month), d (day), H (Hour), i (minute).
- Default: Y-m-d, H:i
- Enable likes/dislikes - Allow users to vote using like and dislike buttons.
- Enable emotion rating - Allow users to vote using five emotion buttons: Happy, Amused, Angry, Indifferent, Excited.
- Enable Admin Dashboard Notice - If enabled, alerts will be shown in the Admin dashboard notifications section for every new review being submitted.
- Enable Admin E-mail Notifications - If enabled, the Administrator will receive e-mail notifications when new reviews are held for moderation. (You can turn on Review moderation from inside the Access Restrictions tab)
- Admin E-mail - Specify the Administrator e-mail where notifications will be sent to.
- E-mail subject - The subject line in the notification e-mail sent to the Administrator.
- E-mail Content - The content / body in the notification e-mail sent to the Administrator.
- Enable User Notifications - If enabled, a notification e-mail will be sent to the user once his submitted review is approved and published on the site.
- E-mail Subject - The subject line in the notification e-mail sent to the User.
- E-mail Content - The content / body in the notification e-mail sent to the User.
The Labels tab gives you the freedom to modify any text / phrasing or words currently being shown on the front-end of your website when displaying ratings, reviews, and the Review form.
- Ratings title - This is the main title / header for all ratings on a post. This header is shown above the over-all star rating, average score, rating count and histogram table on each post/page.
- Rating count text - This text is used when displaying the total number of ratings a post has received.
- Rating average text - This text is used when displaying the average star rating for a post/page.
- Histogram table text for stars - This text will replace the default word "star" when displaying the histogram table for ratings on a post.
- Reviews title - This is the main title / header for all Reviews on a post. This header is shown above the published reviews.
- Text before the Author name and date - This is the text shown on the Author line before the Author name and date of submission. By default, this text is set to "By", but can be changed to anything (e.g. "Submitted by", "Review by", etc.)
- No reviews were submitted -The text to display if there are no reviews to display on the post.
- Default origin for manually added reviews (backend only) - This affects the Origin field, which only can be seen in the back-end by the admin.
- Default origin for user added reviews (backend only) - This affects the Origin field, which only can be seen in the back-end by the admin.
Add New Review Form
- Add review form button - This is the button that will appear on the post if you have opted to display the Review form on-click or inside a Popup (this setting can be found inside the Review Form tab). You can customize what text to show on this button.
- Star Rating headline - This is the star rating title / header for the stars shown in the Review form.
- Review title headline - This is the label for the Review title text field in the Review form.
- Review title placeholder - This is the text that will show up inside the review title field in the Review form while the field is empty. (A placeholder is text that will show inside a text field if the text field is empty.)
- Review content headline - This is the label for the review content text field in the Review form.
- Review content placeholder - This is the text that will show up inside the review content text field in the Review form while the field is empty. (A placeholder is text that will show inside a text field if the text field is empty.)
- User Name headline - This is the label for your user name field on the Review form.
- User Name placeholder - This is the text that will show up inside the user name text field in the Review form while the field is empty. (A placeholder is text that will show inside a text field if the text field is empty.)
- User E-mail headline - This is the label for the user e-mail text field in the Review form.
- User E-mail placeholder - This is the text that will show up inside the e-mail text field in the Review form while the field is empty. (A placeholder is text that will show inside a text field if the text field is empty.)
- Submit button - You can customize the submit button text inside the Review form.
- Successfully published review confirmation message - This is the message that will display for the user confirming that his review has been successfully submitted and published after submitting the Review form.
- Pending review approval message - This message will be displayed to the user after submitting the Review form if you have opted to moderate reviews before publishing (found inside the Access Restrictions tab).
Here are the labels and text which you can modify to customize your the Statistics page:
- Label when no rating
- Label when no review
- Label when no IP
You can customize the aesthetics of your Ratings, Reviews and Review form from inside this tab.
- Ratings color theme - Are you not happy with the default orange color that ratings and reviews are being shown in? Do not fret! You can change that orange color from here to any color of your preference. A live preview (for visuals) is provided for your convenience. The color text field will accept any valid HTML/HEX/RGD color code. Of course, you have the option to switch back to the default color (should you wish) by clicking the "Default" button found below the color text field.
- Form color theme - You have full control over the color theme for your form. The color text field will accept any valid HTML/HEX/RGD color code, and of course, you have the option to switch back to the default color (should you wish) by clicking the "Default" button found below the color text field. A live preview (for visuals) is provided for your convenience.
- Disable Form style - Of course, we expect some users might not want to use the current form design our plugin provides for many reasons, like it might not go well with their current template or they have a specific form design in mind. Although we have created a standard and generic design for the form to try and cater to every website look, we're aware that some users might want to change this form design. And it is not our intention to limit our users, so this is what this option is for. Disabling our form style will remove all CSS properties from the Review form and will leave you with a skeleton form which you can leave as is (to inherit your theme's form styles), or style yourself using the CSS class .cmr_form_custom (which is automatically added to the <form> element so you can easily target it and its child elements when styling the form).