CM Tooltip (CMTG) - Getting Started - Permalinks
One of the most important thing in setting up the CM Tooltip Glossary is choosing the permalink structure, for two reasons:
- SEO - by default CM Tooltip Glossary creates a Term Page for each term you add to your glossary, and this page may be linked a lot from other pages, which means that when Google bot indexes your page it will be treated as important one and show it high in search results (Google algorithms base on the links between content).
If you decide to change the permalink/url of the page there's a risk this users will reach the 404 page instead.
- Complicated/sophisticated rewrite rules of WordPress - the system built in WordPress is amazing, but not limitless. It needs to know if the given url is a:
- custom post type
- category page
- child page
- It's very important to remember about it, and plan this ahead, especially if you plan to put the Glossary Index Page on child page
Rules for the permalinks
If you want to change the permalink please choose the word/phrase following these rules:
- don't start with the slash (/)
- use only lowercased-letters
- don't use space
- don't end with slash (/)
WARNING: This rules apply to all of the use cases, not following them can cause the problems with your site (404 pages).
By default the permalink of the glossary terms is "glossary" so the terms consisting of:
If you're running an English site and you just need need a glossary of terms, the default setting should be good for you.
In either, the synonyms of the "glossary" or the translations are good choice. Examples: 'dictionario', 'dictionary'.
This is the most complex case, when the Glossary Index Page is put on the child page (has a parent page).
Below: The slug of the page containing the [glossary] shortcode. This page is the subpage of the page with the slug "extras".
Below: This is how the permalink should look if you're planning to put the Glossary Index page on the subpage.