CM Secure Login (CMAUTH) - How To - Restrict User Login By Number of Devices
Restricting User Login by Number of Devices
By number of devices | By number of IPs
What is This Feature?
You can restrict certain user roles from logging in from too many different devices.
How It Works:
- You set how many devices types are allowed for each user role
- When a user logs in, his user agent is registered
- If the user tries to log in using a new device and the device quota is full, the attempt will be blocked
The plugin identifies each device by device type+browser. For example, pc-Chrome
Use Case: Only Two Devices At a TimeLet's say John Doe has an Editor role and access to sensitive information. He shares the account with Jane.
- Enable "Restrict user devices"
- Limit the amount for Editor users
- Set "Maximum number of devices allowed to user" to 2.
Now, John's account can only be used from two specific devices - the first ones he used to log in
Head to WP Admin → CM Secure Login → Device Tab.
- Restrict user devices - Enables the feature
- User roles - Mark which roles will be affected
- Maximum numbers of devices allowed by users - Choose a number, 1 or higher
Specifying Devices For Each User - Details
You can also choose which user agents can log in to each user account.
Start by editing that user from WP Admin → Users → All Users → Edit the relevant user.
Scroll down to the "CM Secure Login: Protection by devices" section.
- Check how many devices are allowed
- Enable or disable specific user agents and delete them from the list
- Save the current selection of user agents
Trying to enable an invalid number of devices will result in an error.