CM Maps Route Manager (CMMRM) - Troubleshooting
This guide covers the most common issues with CM Maps Route Manager.
Table of Contents
- Map canvas is blank
- Error message about using direct travel mode when 23 waypoints limit has been reached
- Altitude is incorrect or elevation graph is not showing up
- I cannot search for places on the edit map page
- Geolocation error shows up on the map page
- "404 Page Not Found" error
- Imported KML/GPX file seems to be incorrect
- I cannot change the travel mode
- I cannot draw a route - I can only add a marker
- Some icons are not being displayed or there's a rectangle in some text labels
- Instructions are not showing up on the edit route page
Map canvas is blank
- Make sure there is a valid Google Maps App Server Key entered (not the browser key) in the plugin settings. Check Key restrictions: None.
- Make sure all required APIs are enabled in your Google Maps App (the APIs list can be found in the Setup article).
Since our plugin embeds the Google API only when it's needed and other plugins often do this on each page, you may need to disable the conflicting plugin or change your theme to fix this issue.
Error message about using direct travel mode when 23 waypoints limit has been reached
This error message reads "This website has reached the limit of the Google Maps API waypoints number per directions request. The total allowed waypoints is 23, plus the origin and destination. Please use the Direct Travel Mode if using more waypoints."
Under Settings → Dashboard tab → Map section.
Set Default travel mode to direct.
Altitude is incorrect or elevation graph is not showing up
Make sure the Elevation API is enabled in your Google Maps App settings. Then it may be necessary to edit the specific route and press the "Save" button to calculate the altitude values again.
Also, check in your theme's settings if there's a " defer script loading" (or similar) option enabled. The option helps optimize your website's load speed but it doesn't work well with Google libraries and can prevent the elevation graph from showing.
I cannot search for places on the edit map page
Make sure the Places API is enabled on your Google Maps App settings.
Geolocation error shows up on the map page
From the recent web browsers versions, the Geolocation Web API works only on websites that use HTTPS protocol. It won't work with the standard HTTP websites without SSL/TLS encryption.
So SSL / HTTPS must be running on your website.
"404 Page Not Found" error
It seems your Wordpress doesn't recognize the routes pages' permalink correctly.
- Make sure you don't have a page or post with the same slug (name) as you gave for the plugin's permalink part in the plugin settings. If there's a post with the same slug you may need to change its slug or the maps permalink part in the plugin settings.
- Go to wp-admin → Settings → Permalinks make sure that the "Post name" has been set as the permalink structure.
- Install the "Rewrite Rules Inspector" plugin. Then go to wp-admin → Tools → Rewrite Rules and press the "Flush rules" button.
- Make sure that your post pages are loading correctly using pretty URLs. This is a rare issue but if not this means that your server doesn't support URL rewrite, the htaccess files are not set up correctly on Apache server or you're using another HTTP server where you need to set up the rewrite manually. Please contact your server administrator to solve this.
Imported KML/GPX file seems to be incorrect
Our plugin imports only the trail path from the KML/GPX file and doesn't import the markers. It has been designed to import simple GPS tracker data and doesn't support complex KML/GPX maps. It creates a start and end marker automatically but you need to add other markers manually.
I cannot change the travel mode
For the imported KML/GPX files you can use only the Direct travel mode because the imported route path is accurate enough that you don't need to use Google Directions Service to find a path between waypoints as you do when drawing a route manually. Besides that Google Maps' Direction Service won't accept a request with such a huge number of waypoints when switching the travel mode.
I cannot draw a route - I can only add a marker
For the imported routes when the number of the waypoint is greater than 200 there's no option to draw a route or change position of the existing waypoints. In the past, it caused performance issues for our users and crashed the web browser. Even "My Maps" service from Google doesn't allow you to edit routes imported from the KML/GPX files. You can add only the locations' markers.
Some icons are not being displayed or there's a rectangle in some text labels
Our plugin uses the Wordpress' build-in Dashicons set. However, on some themes the dash icons are not displayed properly on the front-end. It's not the plugin's issue, but as of yet, we haven't worked out what is causing this problem.
Instructions are not showing up on the edit route page
Go to wp-admin → CM Maps Routes Manager → Settings → Labels tab. There's an Instructions field that you can fill in with the instructions or link to the plugin's documentation for your users.