Twitter Aggregator (CMTA) - Options - Twitter API (Connecting The Plugin To Twitter)
Connecting The Plugin To Twitter
In order to connect the plugin to Twitter, you will need two things: the API Key and the API Secret.
This guide shows you:
- How to obtain the Twitter keys
- How to add them to the plugin
Obtaining The Twitter Keys
To get the keys, you have to apply for a free developer account and make an app. This is easier than it sounds - it's just about providing Twitter with basic information.
First Step: Applying for the developer account
- Access https://developer.twitter.com/en/apply/user and login with your Twitter account.
Apply for a developer account. Note that you will need to have a verified telephone number associated to your account.
Select the access type - for organization of personal use. Then, fill the required fields.
Give some details about how you are going to use Twitter on your website.
Read and agree to the Terms of Service.
- Check your email for a verification link.
Wait until Twitter confirms your data.x
Congratulations! Now, log in to your new developer account to fetch the keys.
Second Step: Fetching the keys
- Check the top menu and, under Test Project, click on Get Started.
Create an app.
Fill all required fields.
Important: for "Callback URLs", add the URL of your website.
Review the Developer Terms.
In the app screen, click on
Keys and tokens.
There you have it! These are the two keys that we need to input into the plugin settings.
Configuring The Plugin
Navigate to Admin Panel → Twitter Aggregator → Options.
Click on Twitter API tab.
This plugin is using Twitter REST API and require API Key to run.
- Consumer Key (API Key) - Consumer Key (API Key).
- Consumer Secret (API Secret) - Consumer Secret (API Secret).
Please read the Twitter API limits section to take into account the rate of calls the plugin will be able to make to Twitter. Also adding multiple categories which have very short refresh rate might affect your server performance.
You can click Test Twitter API to check if the keys are working correctly.
- Include retweets - Include retweets from timeline.
- Exclude replies - Exclude replies from timeline.
- Language - Tweets will be filtered only to selected language. Leave empty to remove filter.